2009-10-27

LA Farmer's Markets Grand Tour Begins!


I woke up very early on Sunday morning determined to find the best farmer's market in L.A. So far, I have been going to one on 3rd and Fairfax that's open everyday till 9:30pm. It has plenty of shopping and entertainment options.even though The two fruit and vegetable stands have everything you might possibly need but it is more of a commercial tourist attraction then a traditional farmer's market. This time I wanted to find the real deal. One that has at least 5 fruit/veggie stands where you can bargain for prices and taste all the produce before you buy it, live seafood and other goodiesavailable. I started with the Hollywood Farmer's Market on Vine and Hollywood Blvd which was by far my favourite one. I tried enough persimmons, Asian pears, white peaches, strawberries, raw cheeses and homemade ice cream to feel me up till dinner time. There were also lots of warm food vendors and some local artists. I also purchased a live crab from a seafood vendor from Santa Barbara. It was a lot of fun to prepare it. I just boiled it and it was delicious. I also stopped by the markets on Melrose Place and one in Beverly Hills. They were both a lot smaller but the vendors were even more eager to bargain with you for deals. The Hollywood Farmer's Market is now my favourite place in L.A. and I can not wait to go back! Shopping list: live lobster, homemade, salted, caramel ice cream, and more delicious strawberries and persimmons.