2009-10-01

Learning the Ropes


While having a cocktail with my publisher at Chateau Marmont I met a very interesting gentleman. He seemed to be very intrigued by the fact that this girl who appaeared to be an arm candy has actually something interesting to say. When he found out that I am producing my own TV show, he told me that he was a writer and gave me some really good pointers:
“Most people won’t take you seriously because of your looks. There will be a lot of men in the industry that will try to convince you that the only way you will get ahead is by sleeping with them. There are three ways of becoming successful in this town: having a real talent, being at the right place at the right time and, having someone to show you the ropes and introduce you to the right people.”
It's not like I didn't know that but I’m glad I got to hear it now from someone that has been in the industry for over 30 years…it was almost like a gentle smack in the face:).

Later that night he texted me and what he wrote me made me feel really good:)
“Let me know when you want to do lunch and listen to my tutorial.
By the way, I am not doing this because I am interested in romance. You are too old and too smart for me;) You are cool. I think you have the chops to deal with the animals in this jungle.”